Friday, August 3, 2018

New year... New Science Standards


The 2018-2019 School year is about to kick off, and with it comes new changes. The NGSS standards, mandated by the State of Arkansas are now in effect.

What does this mean to you? It depends...

If you are a parent, it will mean your student will be doing science differently than what you probably did in high school. The days of lecture/note-taking science classes are over.

If you are a student, you will be learning science content through activities, data collection, analyzing data, and science literacy skills.

In other words, you are going to be doing a lot of critical thinking.

The science department has been undergoing training focused on implementing the new standards which should ease the transition into the student-centered learning model of instruction.

Personally, my biggest struggle will be in taking a step back, and letting the kids learn. I'm a teacher, I like to teach. I like to present information. It is an odd thing for me to actually take a back seat, and let the students take the lead, but that is what I am going to do.

The next few posts will be discussing the NGSS standards in more detail, and I am planning posts on how my classroom operates using the new instructional model.

Feel free to ask questions or comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment