Wednesday, August 29, 2018

We all make mistakes...

I goofed up. I gave out a set of practice problems that was meant for the second or third day of instruction as the first night's homework.

My students arrived the next morning, concerned about the assignment. Many stated it was difficult, some said they worked for hours getting it done, with help from their text and youtube.

I announced to the class my mistake, and they were relieved.  I gave out the intended work, and we completed it during class. The students jumped right in and steadily worked the entire period. It was nice to see them giving it their best.

I strive to communicate to the students that making mistakes is OK. I don't expect them to be perfect. I talk to them about viewing failure as information needed to guide them to success. Failing to get a correct answer the first time doesn't mean a person is stupid, dumb, a loser, or any sort of thing of that nature. It is simply a step toward success. True failure is when a person gives up, and stops trying.

I will leave you with a Japanese proverb.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

No comments:

Post a Comment